Friday, May 02, 2008

when forgetfulness is a bad thing --

Yesterday I read Exodus 16 which is a story of the Israelites complaints to the LORD. Only two chapters earlier, I had read: "The waters returned and covered the chariots and the horsemen; of all the host of Pharaoh that had followed them into the sea, not one of them remained. But the people of Israel walked on dry ground through the sea, the waters being a wall to them on their right hand and on their left." And only two chapters before that, in 12:27, I had read: "...for he passed over the houses of the people of Israel in Egypt, when he struck the Egyptians but spared our houses."

I can't imagine experiencing anything like the Passover or dry ground in the middle of a large sea! How could they go from the chapter 12 and 14 experiences to grumbling in chapter 16? Did they forget what the LORD had done?

But a lot of the time, I'm as forgetful as they were. I read verses like Ephesians 2:4-5 "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ" or "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" How can I know Jesus and experience his love and still grumble? How can I read verses like these and two minutes later grumble about crummy weather or plans that don't go my way?

1 comment:

Katie said...

thanks for this post Andrea! It is amazing to me that we often think that we are not like those people, but in reality we are. I thank God for showing you this and I'm glad that I was able to think about it too.
Love you!

 
Locations of visitors to this page