Tuesday, May 05, 2009

the math problem!

Here is the math problem that I was "trying" to solve the other night.  Sarah and I solved the problem last night (well, she basically told me what to do, and I did it...)  I have the correct answer in my hands............

I am going to give a $5 Chipotle gift card to the person that submits the correct answer first.  

So....put your thinking caps on and get ready!!!  ;)

Katherine runs her own pizza shop.  For each pizza it costs $2.21 for ingredients, $1.24 for overhead, and $ 0.47 for mailing flyers.  She charges $5.84 per pizza.  As a percentage of her costs, how much profit does Katherine earn for each pizza she sells?  

READY, SET, GO!!!!!

15 comments:

Nick laparra said...

She made a 33% profit. Am I right?

Scott said...

but as a percentage of her costs, it's about 49%.

Scott said...

Should I show my work? I always got points off for that in school :(

Jess said...

32.87671%

Jess said...

Oh wait, how about 48.97959%? Points for precision?

Nick Laparra said...

I think i win because it's cool to round up tot he nearest number. Jess was more precise, but I'm right:) JK.

steph said...

I need to consult with Sarah and I'll post the winner tonight!!!!


OHHHHHHHH!!!

Scott said...

hey you can't give two answers Jess! I could have written out all the decimal places, but it's an irrational number

I have one for all you folks while they consult. I'll even give you a hint: the answer is a real number.

(1/i)^(1/i) - i^i
where i=squareroot(-1)

:-)

andrea said...

oh my gosh. that problem looks absolutely impossible to me. math is not my thing.

sj said...

AMEN. sister. AMEN.

(math is SO not my thing, just in case you haven't noticed yet)

Stephanie G said...

so, her costs were $3.92 and her profits were $1.92, so the percentage of her costs is 49% (rounded up) as my esteemed colleagues have already discovered. As for Scott's ridiculously algebraic problem (I haven't had a real math class in 11 years), I'm going to say the answer is 0.

ehl said...

hmmm...for some reason a $5 Chipotle gift card doesn't really entice me to compete! :)

Anonymous said...

did you type it into google? Cause that would give you the answer :) Nice job steph g.

Scott said...

That last one was me

Stephanie G said...

Why yes, Scott, yes I did.

 
Locations of visitors to this page