Saturday, December 08, 2007

colgate, crest, aquafresh=our friends

the topic of teeth and brushing them is quite common at 2520. one reason is that two of the girls living here are daughters of dentists. another reason the topic comes up frequently is because some of the girls living here have had many problems, including many cavity fillings, root canals, teeth pulled, braces (not only once but a second time). the many procedures are not due to lack of good oral hygeine. it is because of soft tooth enamel.

those are not the only reasons for the discussion of teeth. over the last couple years, there have been a few instances with some friends who do not take brushing as serisouly as we do. even though all three have been guys, i think they take hair brushing more seriously than teeth brushing. the three will remain nameless unless they choose to disclose their identity.

a couple years ago friend number 1 stated that he brushes his teeth only in the morning. i thought this was weird, but i thought it was good that he at least brushed his teeth in the morning before interacting with others.

but last week friend number 2 confessed to only brushing at night! first time i had ever heard of that. i thought the only time anyone ever went without brushing their teeth in the morning would be if they forgot or somehow lost their toothbrush. but even in the case of not having a toothbrush i thought one would scrub toothpaste on the teeth with fingers. he thought it was completely normal to only brush at night.

tonight friend number 3 said he also rarely brushes his teeth in the morning. he thinks eating breakfast gets rid of bad breath. he acted like it is completely normal to only brush once a day - only at night. (And he is married...both friends number 1 and 2 are unmarried. we thought maybe that was the reason for the lack of oral hygiene...). so that hypothesis has been disproven. maybe it's a gender thing?

for the last two years i've thought friend number one was the strange one and for the last week that friend number 2 was also, but now i've started wondering if we (2520) are the weird ones...

hence the poll.

13 comments:

Molly said...

:-) Abraham and I are different because he brushes as soon as he gets up, and thinks I'm weird because I wait until after I eat something.

These are weighty matters.

Tommy said...

I'd be curious of the differences between men and women with regard to dental hygiene, based upon a survey with randomly selected participants.

Tommy said...

A study performed in Switzerland.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f72662913373q187/

Fly_Away said...

I brush my teeth according to the position of the moon. It sounds pagan but it actually has to do with this whole gravitational flux thing that effects plaque build up. Its totally true. Some guy in an Astro-Dentistry Journal said something about it...or maybe it was at a bus stop...anyways, the point is - I brush my teeth every morning AFTER breakfast (but only once a day). I am really trying to understand this pre-breakfast brush. Perhaps Molly would agree with me that brushing before ANY meal destroys any flavor one might be about to enjoy. Especially orange juice. Worst taste ever.

Teeth brushing fun fact! Brushing teeth was first invented by Sir Walsbrook Brushington of Yorkshire, England in 1937.

Happy Brushing everyone!

ehl said...

I disagree! I think that NOT brushing ruins the taste of breakfast. Of course, you don't drink orange juice or eat breakfast immediately after brushing your teeth, but brushing prior to eating a morning meal allows you to enjoy the flavor of the meal without it being tainted by "morning breath" taste! This does not mean that I don't brush after eating...I do that as well! One can never brush too much!

Anonymous said...

Sound bites from my father:

"Steph, the more you brush, the better!"

"Don't brush too hard, you might break something."

"Floss, floss, floss!!"

"Make sure your goal in life is to have your real teeth when you are older."

Thanks dad, thanks.

Very profound words. :)

Courtney Reissig said...

I brush after I eat, but ya'll probably already knew that because I do the EXACT same thing every morning and evening! :)

Katie said...

I agree with Abraham and Ellie. There's no way that I could wait until after I ate to brush my teeth. It is the first thing everyone should do when they wake up!

Fly_Away said...

My clean track record proves my methodology to be correct. Once a day, after breakfast. And sometimes skipping saturdays. Unless I got a hot date with the misses.

Anonymous said...

I'll stay anonymous on this one so you'll still be my friend but I normally only brush in the evening because I'm always running out the door in the morning and don't have time. I was raised this way and I am a young, single female so it's not just a bachlor thing.

Anonymous said...

FYI, nothing's changed on my end. I'm still confident in my once-a-day brushing tendencies. But that's because I employ an alternative strategy to deal with the daily dose of plaquey build-up: teeth beating. Or, dental drumming, if you will. Make enough beats and the tartar begins to wear thin. Tops Colgate any day.

- Friend #1, aka "the Strange One"

thebowblog said...

i brush the very instant i get out of bed. pretty much after every meal. and always before sleeping.

or any other time i want to freshen the oral cavity.

i love to brush.

i need to work on my flossing though.. but we just got some of those cool hand held flossy things that are supposed to make it easier..


two of your dad's are dentists? have they heard anything about the crest pro-health mouthwash turning teeth brown? or something like that?

Anonymous said...

i brush in the morning and in the evening, and sometimes after lunch too. whether i brush before or after breakfast depends on what i'm having. if i eat a bowl of cereal at my house, then i brush after breakfast. but if i'm grabbing a muffin at a coffeeshop on my way to class (for example), then i brush before breakfast, before i leave the house.

confession: i need to do MUCH better at flossing!

 
Locations of visitors to this page