Monday, January 12, 2009

my fave five pastors/preachers:

John Piper. I grew up thinking Christianity meant a boring life but at least heaven after death. After listening Sunday after Sunday to John Piper's preaching, the Lord showed me that Jesus is my joy. My heart became increasingly satisfied in Jesus rather than bored by him. And I'm thankful for Piper's teaching on God's sovereignty over ALL things, especially his purchase of me.

C.J. Mahaney
. One of the most encouraging person I know of. But my favorite sermon of his is one he preached on the woman in Luke 7 who wet Jesus' feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. He calls it an extravagant devotion to Jesus and listening to C.J. deepens my longing to have that same devotion to my Savior. And he loves basketball. I like that!

Tim Cain. The first time I heard Tim Cain speak was a 15 minute devotional and I could have listened for hours. He talks about Jesus in such a way that makes me yearn to know him more deeply. I want to know more about this "insanely beautiful" Jesus. He makes me realize that if I want to share the gospel naturally, I need to love the gospel more myself.

Mark Driscoll. I love Mark Driscoll! I'm reading his book right now ("Death by Love") and it is great. Driscoll's sermons are filled with Jesus. And he doesn't back away from talking about difficult subjects. He's real.

Tim Keller.
I'm so grateful for Tim Keller. About five years ago, I went through Keller's study on Galatians and God used it to change my life. I'd never before understood the gospel like I did after reading Galatians so in depth. I realized more of what a sinner I was but also what a great Savior I have in Christ!

I have to add Jordan Thomas too. The few sermons I've heard from him have left such an impact on me about how great and glorious our God is...and of his captivating love. His one communion service message at Bethlehem a couple years ago was one of the most memorable short messages I've heard. He conveyed the love of Jesus in such a beautiful way and I don't think I will ever forget it.

Steph's going to post her's soon...what are your favorite five?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

-John Piper
-My dad--Rick Tarter
-Al Mohler
-CJ Mahaney
-Daniel Reissig (I know he is not a preacher, but he does preach to youth!)

And I am adding a sixth...

-Cody McNutt (my soon to be new pastor and the guy who is marrying me and Daniel)

Love you girls!

Anonymous said...

and Kempton Turner! His sermons on Isaiah 6 from one of the youth retreats were so, so, so good. I love his preaching too.

 
Locations of visitors to this page