Friday, September 11, 2009

What the 2520 house is thankful for..........

The other afternoon Steph, Sarah and Andrea were sprawled out on the couches being Debbie-Downers (wuaaah, wuaah---remember Saturday Night Live?). Moping around, complaint after complaint, in the typical dramatic 2520 way.  The weather is too hot and humid! Our neighbors are too loud! The house is too dirty!  Why does life have to be so hard! 
Suddenly, Andrea stood up, looked out the window and exclaimed, "Gosh!  Our yard is SO ugly!"  She was immediately convicted of a complaining spirit (Steph and Sarah, meanwhile, gripped in the throes of the devil's lying schemes, continued to complain).  Andrea turned and looked at her roommates and stated, "Man, all we're doing is complaining!"  At that moment, an idea popped into Sarah's head. 
"OK guys!  This is what we're going to do----quick!  Quick!  Everyone think of 3 things they are thankful for,and we're going to go around in a circle and share.  Steph, you go first."   Blank stares. "Uhhh, uhhhh," stuttered Steph. 
"Quick!  Don't stop to think too much!  Just say the first thing that comes into your head," said Sarah.  Finally, Steph timidly exclaimed while glancing nervously at the coughing, sore-throat, cold-suffering Andrea, "OK......ummmm.....I'm thankful I don't have any physical ailments."  
"Good Steph!  That's good!," encouraged Sarah, "Andrea, you're next."
"OK.......I'm thankful for this house?" said Andrea, questioningly.
"And I'm thankful for pretty colored leaves changing in the fall," said Sarah.  The 3 roommates continued the exercise.  Andrea was thankful that she is done with school, Sarah that her hair had just been cut and was now short. In reply, of course, Steph was thankful for her long hair, and Sarah countered with her chapstick.  
This led the three girls into a conversation about being thankful for little things, such as chapstick......and how it's okay to have that be one of the things we are thankful for because every little thing in life is a gift from God.  And they point us to him!  Next time you find yourself in a spirit of complaint, try Sarah's little exercise.  It was good for us.  So..........what are you thankful for?  

7 comments:

becky said...

I'm thankful that I am friends with the 2520 girls :)

Anonymous said...

too funny!

Courtney Reissig said...

Here are my three things in no particular order:

1. I am thankful for you girls, oh so thankful. And the memories.
2. I am thankul that I have a new nephew who is so stinking cute.
3. I am thankful for Daniel

and of course, I am thankful for Jesus.

Just last night Daniel told me that I was so dramatic. So, the 2520 dramatic spirit still lives on in Louisville. Love you!

steph said...

oh gosh. sarah, this post just makes me laugh :)

Fly_Away said...

I'm with Becky on this. I love the heck outta each uh ya'll. Please redeem your one free photo-shoot from my new camera soon!

katiebee said...

I'm thankful that my "missing" headbands have gone to a good home

Unknown said...

I'm thankful for:

- the 2520 girls (that includes Katie)
- my own little family (yes, I'm including my dog)
- health

 
Locations of visitors to this page