Wednesday, March 21, 2007

ohhhh dr. johnson...

I e-mailed my dad today to ask him about the 'danger zone'. Knowing my dad, he gave a prompt response to my questions. Here's what I found out. I love my dad.

The "danger triangle" is an anatomical area defined by the brow of your nose as the top of the triangle, down each side of your nose to the corners of your upper lips for the base of the triangle. This area is peculiar anatomically because it has veins that have no valves to prevent backflow. The venous drainage for that area goes upward to the apex of the triangle and then backwards to the base of the brain in an area called the cavernous sinus. Most other veins in the body have veins to prevent backflow. This area doesn't. If you pinch a pimple in this area. The pimple has tons of bacteria in it. These bacteria can gain access to this venous drainage system. They can then multiply and create what is called cavernous sinus thrombosis. Basically this is pus at the base of the brain, lots of it, and a very serious, life threatening infection. One of my patients pinched a pimple on her sons upper lip while theywere on vacation in Florida. He got the dreaded infection and was in the hospital for a month. He was lucky to have survived. Moral of the story: don't even think about touching a pimple in that area, and be very careful not to get an infection there. I bet you can find more information on Cavernous sinus thrombosis on the internet. I hope that answers your question. Love, Dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"One of my patients pinched a pimple on her sons upper lip while theywere on vacation in Florida."


woahhhhh who would want to do that?? that made me want to vomit.


p.s. is this for serious? is there for real a danger zone??

Peter said...

After I, Peter, popped a purple pimple, I pulled up iTunes and purchased "Danger Zone" from Top Gun by Kenny Loggins.

Courtney Reissig said...

i think the primary concern here is not that a pimple was popped in the "danger zone" but that a mother would be willing to actually pop her own son's pimple and then tell someone about it.

funny, pete! :)

Anonymous said...

Katie, ohhh this is serious. I wouldn't post anything but serious.

Pete, i laughed when I read your post. ohhh, and good song! :)

 
Locations of visitors to this page